What is the legality of making a new game that is essentially the same as another, without using trademark names? For example if I make an obviously knockoff iOS game that is essentially something like Angry Birds? Can one patent games?

  • My guess is it's about copyrights, but I think software patents also exist. Aug 14, 2016 at 20:49

2 Answers 2


NOTE: Specific to the EU

Based on this:

Copyright will protect only the computer program in the form written by a programmer i.e. its source code. Neither the functionality of a computer program, nor the programming language or the format of data files used in a computer program in order to exploit certain of its functions constitute a form of expression of that program, and thus, those are not protected by copyright.

As such, you couldn't sell the direct source code, but you could make a derivative game with the same concept and execution, even in the same programming language, and sell it.

It's worth noting that creative works in the form of art are copyright-able, so you couldn't copy assets and if the assets were similar enough to the original game they might have a case against you. If in your Flappy Birds clone you made the bird a space ship and the pipes into asteroids then you'd likely have no problem.


Under US copyright law, claims have been made that the "look and feel" of a computer program is protected by copyright, particularly in Broderbund Software Inc. v. Unison World, Inc. That case established a broad protection for user interface elements of a program's design. More recent cases have narrowed this protection, and the extent of "look and feel" protection in US law is not currently clear. Non-US law may well be different, and the law on this point may change with future court cases.

As mentioned in another answer, specific artwork used in a computer game is protected by copyright, so any game using art based on the source (without permission) might be an infringement.

If you are planning to create or market such a "close" game in the US, you would be well advised to seek advice from a lawyer with experience in software copyrights, which is a sub-specialty of copyright law.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.