I have a question about Commonwealth income tax law.

Suppose I am an employee at a retail chain. Occasionally, my boss asks me to take stock from one store to another. I use my private motor vehicle to do so. I pay for the petrol, repairs, etc out of my own pocket. The employer contributes nothing to my motor vehicle.

Under what conditions can I claim an income tax deduction for costs associated with my motor vehicle?

  • In the US, that's an unreimbused employee expense, and deductable. No idea about Australia, nor other Commonwealth countries.
    – phoog
    Sep 16, 2016 at 15:58

1 Answer 1


In the circumstances you describe, you can claim the out of pocket expenses as a work related tax deduction, provided you owned or leased the vehicle. The ATO has some information on work-related car expenses and if you don't own the vehicle, you may still be able to claim expenses as travel expenses.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .