I am trying to figure out what type of business (not what type of insurance) I should establish to protect us from people who might do stupid things while on our property. For example, if someone injures himself while misusing the instant hot water, how do we ensure we're protected against litigious, accident prone, stupid people? Is an LLC enough? Thank you for any help!! I will not have ANY employees. It's just me and my husband and I will be the "inn-keeper". I realize I need to get insurance as well, but I'm trying to understand if an LLC is the best way to go for establishing ourselves as a business.

  • What country (and if in the US, which state)? Sep 29 '16 at 10:39
  • USA, Washington state, Kitsap County Sep 29 '16 at 19:45

You generally wouldn't need a business entity to protect you: you would buy landlord's insurance so that if someone sued you the insurance company would step in and either settle or defend the claim on your behalf.

  • Unfortunately, both landlord insurance and homeowners insurance exempts accidents related to a short-term rental business you do in your home. But thank you for your time and input!! It is much appreciated. Sep 29 '16 at 19:40
  • There are policies that cover short term holiday landlords - keep looking
    – Dale M
    Sep 29 '16 at 20:07
  • It seems not in the United States... hopefully someone will come along who has heard of a company that does this type of insurance. I'll keep looking. Thanks again! :-) Nov 26 '16 at 7:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.