I have an artist working on some things for me and I've just found out that they are 15.

In the UK, can a 15 year old legally sign over copyright to another person?

The assumptions made by me are 1. A minor can hold copyright 2. A minor cannot enter a legally binding contract.


2 Answers 2


A minor can own property including copyright.

A minor can also enter into contacts that are genuinely in their interest - note that this is an additional protection not afforded to adults. A minor needs the permission of their legal guardian to enter a contract and while this can be implicit in your circumstances it would be wise to make it explicit.

Notwithstanding, a minor may revoke a contract (if possible - they can't if they have drunk the milkshake, for example) while they remain a minor and for a reasonable time after they attain their majority. If they do this you would lose the copyright and they would have to refund your money. This is just a risk you will have to bear and factor into what you are willing to pay.

As an aside, there are three "properties" your contract needs to deal with: any physical artifacts (like a painting), the copyright and the moral copyright.

  • 1
    If the minor's parent or guardian was a party to the contract, could they make it irrevocable? Commented Oct 7, 2016 at 13:13
  • @NateEldredge only while the minor remained a minor.
    – Dale M
    Commented Oct 7, 2016 at 21:33
  • There's actually UK jurisprudence that such copyrights cannot be revoked.
    – MSalters
    Commented Oct 7, 2016 at 23:12
  • "a minor may revoke a contract (if possible - they can't if they have drunk the milkshake, for example)" couldn't you just include a milkshake in any contract with a minor than, to make it irreversible? Commented Oct 11, 2016 at 13:12
  • @PyRulez that would be in the minor's interest?
    – Dale M
    Commented Oct 11, 2016 at 19:17

Yes, see Chaplin v Leslie Frewin publisher Ltd (1966). Chaplin entered, then failed to revoke a contract for the transfer of copyright.

This falls under a more general exception about the provision of services when aligned with the benefits of the minor.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .