I am in a situation where my friend was not able to get a phone contract under his name, and I being a good friend agreed to add a line to my account and leased a phone for him (all under my account).

Recently we had a few misunderstandings and the person decided to stop making lease payments on the device. I reached out to the person and advised him that I (we) do not own the phone, so he must either return the phone to me so I can bring it back to the Carrier or start making the lease payments, and he ignored my requests.

Due to the above, I am interested in bringing this person to court. Now, my question: Is that even possible? What's the term used for this legal situation? What paper work would I file with the courts to get this moving?

State: New Jersey


Yes. The term for this situation is a "civil dispute." It can be resolved via a civil claim. In New Jersey, for claims under $3000, you can use the Small Claims courts. The process is designed to be followed without the assistance of counsel. Let the internet be your guide.

| improve this answer | |
  • Awesomely awesome!!! thank you very much, this answers my questions. – andre3wap Oct 24 '16 at 17:43
  • 1
    FYI lmgtfy usage is generally frowned upon, at least over on StackOverflow. – David says Reinstate Monica Oct 24 '16 at 19:12
  • @DavidGrinberg - You mean because we prefer the answer to contain all useful information, rather than to reference it? Or something else? – feetwet Oct 24 '16 at 19:26
  • @feetwet That, and also new users tend to not like it. – David says Reinstate Monica Oct 24 '16 at 19:29
  • 1
    @DavidGrinberg Oh yeah, I forgot how patronizing that link can be. Not appropriate here; I just replaced with conventional Google link. – feetwet Oct 24 '16 at 19:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.