Last week, I moved out of apartment complex. My U-Haul spent a fair amount of time unattended in the parking lot while I was lugging stuff out. When I got to my new apartment and unpacked my boxes, I found several boxes full of stuff that I had never seen before. Among the items that I found in these boxes were:
- A vacuum cleaner that makes noise, but doesn't have any suction
- A Rubik's cube with half of the stickers missing
- An old CRT monitor with an image partially burned in
- Shelves from a refrigerator
- Lots of magnets, mostly dull but a few good ones
- Instructions on how to install a door bell
- 4 copies of the DVD Battleship
This was very strange to find this box. I'm guessing this came in my truck for 2 possible reasons:
- Somebody was also moving at the same time and mistakenly put it in
- Somebody was trying to throw away an old box of junk and just put it in my open truck and ran away
Considering how my now former neighbors would terrorize me (blasting loud music, setting loose a possum through my window, taking a dump in my mailbox), I'm guessing it's the 2nd reason, although I'm not positive.
My question is: am I under any legal obligation to try to return this box? I don't want to see my former neighbors again, but can I get in trouble if I keep this?