We are discussing in work a colleague who will be 18 in February, the work just gave alcohol to all Adult staff and so it was asked, could colleague A (who is 17) transport the alcohol he could have been given, home, to deliver to his parents?

A short google brings this interesting tidbit It is only illegal for persons under the age of 18 to consume alcohol in a public place according to the Children and Young Persons Act 1933 Source(s): Legislation.gov.uk

but you know how unreliable people on the web can be with the actual law.

1 Answer 1


Though the act does not directly address the issue of donating alcohol, it is likely that under section 151 of the Licensing Act 2003 it would be considered an offence to provide (free of charge) alcohol to a minor, considering the purpose of the provision.

(1)A person who works on relevant premises in any capacity, whether paid or unpaid, commits an offence if he knowingly delivers to an individual aged under 18—

(a)alcohol sold on the premises

  • "relevant premises" would this not be any premises which provides/sells alcohol? Jan 24, 2017 at 9:11
  • 1
    In relation to the act, I agree that it would make sense that 'relevant premises' were those licensed to sell alcohol. Jan 24, 2017 at 20:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.