I read this:

Every business that pays employees or is required to file any business tax returns is required to obtain an EIN.

Source: https://justworks.com/blog/itin-ssn-or-ein-whats-the-difference

Is this true? I am a sole proprietor and have filed business taxes on a Form 1040 with just a social security number. I did not obtain an EIN, nor did anyone say I had to, when I did business taxes.

I always just use SSN. Is it illegal to file business taxes as a sole proprietor with just an SSN?

  • I read "business tax return" as "tax return in the name of the business". When the business is a sole proprietorship, the business itself doesn't have to file a tax return. Rather, you include the income and expenses of the business in your personal income tax return. So even in light of feetwet's answer, I don't think the statement is false, just perhaps not stated very clearly. Feb 5, 2017 at 23:29
  • Businesses don't file tax returns, corporations do. A sole proprietorship is a business without a corporation. Yes, okay, this is a huge oversimplification, and there are exceptions, but that's the underlying principle. Form 1040 is a personal income tax return, where you report personal business income.
    – phoog
    Feb 6, 2017 at 5:05

1 Answer 1


As you have experienced, you are not "required" to obtain an EIN to file "any" business tax returns. You can go as far as a sole proprietorship filing on Schedule C just using your personal SSN.

You don't need an EIN until you either pay employees or want to file taxes as a separate business entity (e.g., an LLC).

  • 1
    Actually, even in the case of an LLC, it is a disregarded entity and you can file on Schedule C if you have just one owner of the LLC and don't affirmatively elect to be taxed as a corporation.
    – ohwilleke
    Jan 6, 2017 at 23:20
  • @ohwilleke and if you make that election, the LLC needs an EIN, correct?
    – phoog
    Feb 6, 2017 at 5:07
  • @phoog yes, because the corporation will then constitute a "real" (as opposed to "disregarded") entity and have to make filings as such. (And the only taxpayer identification number available to a filer that is not a natural person is an EIN.)
    – feetwet
    Feb 6, 2017 at 12:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.