My Girlfriend goes to University of Mary Washington in Fredricksburg VA. She got a parking ticket because she parked on the street in front of the house she rents. On the street there's a sign that says no UMW student parking but she didn't think this applied if you own the property and she's lived there for 10 months and hasn't gotten a ticket yet.

Is there any way she could get out of this ticket?

  • 1
    Ask the municipality that makes the laws, the LEO who issued the citation, the court that will adjudicate it, or a licensed attorney. – feetwet Feb 5 '17 at 17:21
  • 1
    If she rents she doesn't own it, BTW. – Andy Feb 6 '17 at 3:08
  • @Andy would that affect this scenario? – mikeLundquist Feb 6 '17 at 3:10
  • 1
    It might. The sign says no students, it may not matter that she rents. It should (in my non-legal opinion) be allowed just like anyone else renting would likely be allowed to park there, but who knows what wacky regulations are there. – Andy Feb 6 '17 at 3:14

You can contest a parking ticket if you have a legal basis, and they even provide a form. Some streets require resident parking permits, and for some you have to know where to look it up. There are also streets adjacent to the university where the university regulates parking permits. Finally, there is a general "parking in one spot too long" ordinance. So it matters where exactly you are.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.