I have completed a 120 ECTS Master program in a research university in the Netherlands. However, to get a diploma, I need to make a separate application. I did not apply for the diploma in time before my enrollment ended. The university has a rule that I must be enrolled to apply for the diploma, which means I have to pay for at least one more month of enrollment to make the application.

How legal is this rule? Is it regulated by EU law or Dutch law or is it an arbitrary rule of this university? What laws regulate issuing of diplomas/degree certificates in EU in general?

Also, if I can't get a diploma, how can I at least get some verification of my earned ECTS-credits?

  • 1
    It will be regulated by Dutch law. Dutch law may be governed by EU law. Research Universities generally operate inside the law, so it is likely to be legal. You could ask the University how you could get some verification of your credit - if you avoid getting their back up, they will probably try to be helpful. – Martin Bonner supports Monica Feb 16 '17 at 11:00
  • 1
    From a practical standpoint I suggest not trying to make a legal argument, even if it is illegal (which I doubt, but it could be). Although this is only personal experience, I worked at a Dutch university and from past cases as well as my own when an action was illegal it was insufficient to simply point that out. Your best strategy, in my opinion, is to make a personal case (i.e., you did not know), but even here adherence to their own rules is still likely. Other than that, I'd suggest enrolling for one more month, personally I think not getting your diploma is probably more costly. – Dr. Thomas C. King Feb 16 '17 at 11:57
  • 1
    @spiderface: When you say "diploma" do you mean the physical paper? Or do you mean the degree, the recognition that you have completed the program and have the indicated knowledge? – sharur Feb 16 '17 at 17:17
  • 1
    @sharur I mean the degree, not just the paper. – spiderface Feb 16 '17 at 17:38
  • 2
    In that case I also suggest that you contact your masters supervisor. I assume you had to do a research or some other project for your masters? You're likely to meet resistance from the bureaucracy, however, professors etc. want masters students to graduate and are also not particularly keen about the bureaucracy. Try to get one on your side, in my opinion. – Dr. Thomas C. King Feb 17 '17 at 9:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.