I've got a freelance contract signed with an UK based customer, saying that I should do my best to devote at least 174 hours a month (that's 21 days working 8h/day).

I'm based on Spain, where I'm paying my taxes. 3 months taxes nearly equals one month's billed ammount.

Are those 174 hours a month the equivalent to a full-time commitment? Should my client be in charge of paying my taxes or I should pay them in UK (under PAYE)?

ps: I'm only working for this client.

  • I'm only working/billing for this client, as for the last 5 months. – joseconstela Feb 28 '17 at 16:18

After calling Hacienda (Spanish version of HRMC), this is a completely legal and usual situation.

But, as I'm economically dependient from my customer, I've the right the ask my customer for a TRADE freelance contract ("Trababador autónomo económicamente dependiente" / "Economically dependent self-employed worker"), which my customer should sign.

It will allow/protect the freelance for the following benefits:

  • Formalize a economically dependent self-employed contract in writing
  • Annual break of at least 18 working days. (+ bank holidays)
  • Choose your representatives.
  • Compensation for damages incurred when the contract is unjustified-broken.
  • Signing agreements of professional interest.
  • Access to the jurisdiction of the social.

Find more information at http://infoautonomos.eleconomista.es/seguridad-social/trabajadores-autonomos-economicamente-dependientes/

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.