This is the first year I am working with a my tax person, and they intend to file for me as described above. My question is about the contract they sent over, which is not that extensive, but the part, which I like to get your comments about is that "...you have the final responsibility for the income tax returns...". Now being a novice, I went back and read my tax returns from previous years, and the associated documents from a very popular if not the most popular tax service here in the States, and I don't see anything similar to it. But they never did SP for me. I am embarrassed to say I know next to nothing about this, and I have already got a book to educate myself in this area. But any advice is greatly appreciated. Am I being overly concerned? Given that I exchanged a number of emails with my current tax person, I wish they had told me ahead of time and perhaps even sent me a copy of the contract they would want me to sign. But it is so short that I am not sure if I am over reacting. What are some requirements for filling a SP income tax? Is it more risky to do? What are the long term requirements for filling SP? Would I be locking myself into anything if I do this?

closed as too broad by feetwet Mar 13 '17 at 22:36

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.


You are always solely responsible for your taxes irrespective of if the contract says so or not.

If they negligently advise you and the tax authorities that you owe $100 when you really owe $100,000: you owe $100,000 plus interest and penalties if you don't pay on time. You are then free to sue your agent for the damage you suffered (the interest and penalties - the original tax was not damage).

  • so the contract should be normal, benign, and par for course as it relates to tax services? – user3326293 Mar 13 '17 at 19:58
  • For that, you need to consult a lawyer – Dale M Mar 13 '17 at 20:15

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.