He worked for the US government and left behind some documents that might be actually important. What's the proper procedure here, do we destroy everything or is there somewhere we should take these?

  • 2
    Do you mean the documents are literally marked "Top Secret?" If so, don't they list an agency or office? Where were they "left?"
    – feetwet
    Commented Apr 24, 2017 at 16:20

1 Answer 1


The documents do not belong to you or your granddad: they belong to his former employer. Contact them and ask what they want them do with them.

  • This definitely seems like the correct answer, the Dept. of Energy can't seem to direct me to someone who knows/cares however.
    – John Jones
    Commented Apr 11, 2017 at 17:41
  • 2
    @JohnJones put them in an envelope with a explanatory note and post it to them.
    – Dale M
    Commented Apr 11, 2017 at 20:19

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .