I am an adult programmer who knows (absolutely) nothing about law.
What must I do to start a MMO browser game?
I mean a massively-multiplayer online browser game similar to (for example) Travian, OGame or Tribal Wars.
- Assume I will do all the work alone (hiring people to help me could be a follow-up question for another occasion).
- If it matters, assume the game will be in english.
- Assume the game URL will be the straightforward www.(something-here).com (assume I already own this domain - even though I don't - this could be a follow-up question if I can't figure it out by myself)
- Assume all players will play together (i.e. there won't be separate servers for different countries).
- Assume players can send messages to each other within the game.
- Assume the game will be 100% free to play.
- Assume the game won't have any advertisement (I would pay all the expenses myself).
(These assumptions are supposed to narrow down my question - on another occasion I may worry about these details)
When I ask "what must I do?", I am asking regarding law, of course. What laws must I follow? Must I do something special considering I am "just another citizen"? Do I have to create a company first? In short, again, what must I do?
I will be happy to give any other details that you might need.
If this depends on the country I live in, answer based on your favourite country - at this moment I just want to have an idea of how it works. Country details can be left for another time. Unless I am very lucky and you know the specific laws for Brazil.
Remember I don't know anything about law - I probably don't even know how to hire a lawyer.