Fastest Way to become a US Citizen →

In general, getting a US citizenship is a tedious process it takes a lot of time.

If someone starts a Business in the USA after coming from India and gives employment to Americans can such a person avail his citizenship in very few years?

Can some knowledgeable person help me regarding this?

  • You'll generally have to go through the green card process first. I think you're thinking of an EB-5 visa which would give you a green card immediately but you have to invest between 500k and 1million up front.
    – mkennedy
    Jun 15, 2017 at 19:55
  • Also, keep in mind that one cannot start a business in the USA in most circumstances without first having an appropriate visa.
    – ohwilleke
    Jun 15, 2017 at 20:07
  • This question should be on Expatriates.
    – phoog
    Jun 16, 2017 at 13:23

1 Answer 1


I will answer the question that was asked, although I suspect that the real question might be "what is the fastest way to get a visa that ultimately makes me eligible to become a U.S. citizen?"

In general, the way that one becomes a naturalized citizen is by first obtaining a visa that allows permanent residence in the United States by any of multiple available methods, then spending at least five years in that status, and then making an application for U.S. citizenship, which is granted as a matter of course if you pass a citizenship test, an English language fluency test, and a moderately thorough background check.

This five year waiting period is reduced to three years for someone who has a permanent resident visa because he or she is the spouse of a U.S. citizen (incidentally, being the spouse of a U.S. citizen is also one of the fastest ways to get a permanent resident visa).

Special rules also exist to grant citizenship, in the case of people who are seeking U.S. citizenship based upon honorable service in the United States military and sometimes their families as well, and in the case of minor children of people who become naturalized citizens of the United States. I suspect that neither of these options are viable ones in the circumstances discussed in the question.

See generally here.

  • You missed the fastest fastest way: have Congress pass a private bill granting you citizenship, which they can legally do even if you've never set foot in the US.
    – cpast
    Jun 15, 2017 at 22:27
  • @cpast True enough, although at the rate at which legislative moves though Congress these days, it might be a close thing, in addition to being virtually impossible to accomplish in practice.
    – ohwilleke
    Jun 15, 2017 at 22:44
  • so after green card, one can file for citizenship after 5 Years. Jun 16, 2017 at 20:53
  • @Champion Yes, unless you fall into one of the exceptions, the main one of which is for spouses where there is a three year rule.
    – ohwilleke
    Jun 19, 2017 at 16:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.