Berlin Landlord made an error in the contract, and now wants all tenants to correct the error by paying sum's going back 18months. Can they?
A little more detail:
- A friend moved into a new apartment in Berlin 18months ago.
- Last week, they received a demand, to be paid within 15days, with back dated charges for all 18months.
- The contract he (and other tenants have) references the size of the apartment in sq meters, it references the total monthly rent to be paid, but does not reference a formula on how the total monthly rent was calculated.
- The reason for the demand is the landlord discovered they calculated using the wrong sqm cost.
- I believe the landlord might be able to increase rent going forward, but not back date 18months. True/false?