I am a 16-year old female in Michigan and I am going to have to testify against my ex-boyfriend in a statutory rape case. What happened was consensual and my parents are not pressing charges, the state is. Because I am of age now, is it possible for me to get the charges against him dismissed?

  • 1
    Get actual legal advice. "What happened was consensual" - colloquially speaking, it might have been, but legally speaking?
    – Brandin
    Commented Oct 2, 2017 at 13:59
  • 1
    What will happen if you don't testify? What will happen if you invoke the fifth amendment on the stand or claim that you don't remember? A lawyer can help you answer these questions. But your age at the time of the alleged crime is what matters, not your age at the time of the trial.
    – phoog
    Commented Oct 2, 2017 at 16:13

1 Answer 1



You can ask, but the prosecutor has the power to bring charges with or without your consent and is not required to drop the charged because you want them to be dropped.

In fact, prosecutors have with some regularity had judges incarcerate young women who refuse to testify in statutory rape cases after being subpoenaed to do so, until they agree to testify.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .