My wife recently legally changed her name after becoming a U.S. citizen. We've been married for 3 years already. How can we update our old marriage certificate from a different state? I'm assuming there might be some point in the future where we need to present a marriage certificate for something, but we don't urgently need it.

1 Answer 1


No. Separate documentation of change of name, taken together with the original marriage certificate, should suffice.

  • The strange thing is her Certificate of Naturalization doesn't really mention her old name anywhere. Just her new name.
    – Adam Johns
    Oct 9, 2017 at 21:14
  • 1
    Nevermind, there is another document attached that shows the name change.
    – Adam Johns
    Oct 9, 2017 at 21:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.