I have no background in law.

I capture drone footage as a hobby, and want to license it to my local church for use in some of their non-commercial video productions. I want to ensure that they are not allowed to resell it, distribute/share it, use without permission etc etc without obtaining permission from myself.

I am supplying the footage on a hard drive, and am including a copyright notice on the disk (I shall also be drawing their attention to it via email).

What can I do to ensure my footage is covered appropriately? Do I need to write a license agreement? Are you able to point me towards a fully formed license agreement template which I can use? Would it be better to just write an extended copyright notice which details that the footage may not be used without permission?

I am fully aware of the Creative Commons licenses, but these allow the footage to be used by others which is something I want to restrict (almost open-sourcing the footage).

  • 1. Which jurisdiction are you in? 2. Are there any lawyers in your local church who could help draft an agreement? Commented Oct 19, 2017 at 7:43
  • 1. I am in the UK 2. I suppose that's possible, though is doing some form of license agreement overkill to begin with? Is it sufficient enough to include suitable copyright notice? Commented Oct 19, 2017 at 8:36

1 Answer 1


You just wrote it. A licence agreement specifies what they are allowed to do with your copyright material - your question says what you will allow.

  • Fair enough! So, just to clarify; your feeling is that a simple statement of permitted usage is fair enough, rather than writing out a 'formal' agreement? Commented Oct 19, 2017 at 10:32

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .