I have a piece of software that allows you to easily create website designs. To communicate how easy it is to create website designs using the software, I have created a copy of a fortune 500 website and wish to post it on my website. The message being 'You too can create fortune 500 website designs using this software'.
Is it legal to both copy the design of a fortune 500 website and is it legal to use that copy to promote my own software?
Information about what I mean by copy:
- No images have been taken from the original fortune 500 website (F5W). I use free to use stock images that look very similar to those used in the F5W. For example if the F5W shows an image of their new phone at the top of the page horizontally centred, I show an image of another different phone (taken from public stock images) at the top of the page horizontally centred.
- The words on my webpage are different and not copied from the F5W. But they are similar; so in the F5W design it may say 'Introducing the new iPhone X', mine will say 'Introducing the new Cell Z'.
- The layout of the fortune 500 webpage has been copied pretty much exactly. So if the F5W design consists of 3 rows each with 2 columns I have copied this. Where the F5W has a section with a heading, text below it and a background image of a phone, I have also copied this design (except the text and image is different).
- The colours used are exactly the same.
- The language and wording is like so; instead of the company being 'Apple', its 'Orange', instead of 'Apple TV' its 'Orange Film', instead of 'WatchOS' its 'TimeOS'.