I'm the owner of an L2 visa and I currently live in America. My visa depends on my husband's L1 visa. We are both non-immigrants.

-Is it possible to divorce here in America even though we got married in Europe?

-How long is it legal for me to stay in the US after the divorce?

  • 2
    The answer to the first question is probably yes, but the specifics depend on your state of residence. In what state do you reside? The answer to the second question is that your L-2 status becomes invalid as soon as the divorce is final. In order to stay in the US beyond that day, you must file a "change of status" application if you have a valid basis for one. These questions may be better suited to Expatriates, especially the second one. – phoog Nov 26 '17 at 19:45
  • @phoog is correct on both points. In practice, state residency requirements typically range from 30 days to 1 year with 90 days being fairly typical. – ohwilleke Nov 27 '17 at 4:07

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.