Let's say I invent something.

I manufacture it without patenting it.

30 years later, someone reverse-engineered my invention.

I see that he is a few months away from manufacturing it, can I rush in and patent it now?

  • Under the patent laws of which country? Please add a tag. Commented Jan 28, 2018 at 20:54

1 Answer 1



A patent application must be lodged before the invention is made public in any way (or, in the US, within 1 year of the public disclosure).

  • 1
    This is not universally true. For instance, under US law, you may apply for a patent up to one year after publicly disclosing the invention. 35 USC 102 (b) (1). Though certainly the 30 years in the question would be much too long. Commented Jan 28, 2018 at 20:56

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .