I live in Croatia, and laws here are not so clear to the actual restrictions for drivers licenses.

My question is this: what determens if a vehicle requires a driving license in Croatia? For example, I own an electric bike that has 45hp, max speed of 70kmh(~45mph) and weighs 200kg(~441lbs) and is selfpropelled. Is it legal to drive it without a license in Croatia? I am very interested in this, as I am looking to buy an electric motorcycle, and also my age is 20. I'm sorry for any spelling errors as English is not my first language, and for asking a question about a law that isn't in your country/state.

  • 3
    The answer is almost surely somewhere in the Croatian traffic code, but I don't have the language ability to locate it. – ohwilleke Apr 12 '18 at 0:20
  • It would be unlikely to be legal without any license. There may even be vehicles for which there is no legal license at all (like an electric scooter in the UK). – gnasher729 Oct 22 '19 at 15:58
  • You don't drive a bike. You RIDE it. – erebus Aug 12 at 17:02

Any Croation law regarding this is or will be based on EU law applies unless Croatia allows exemptions that are only valid there.

You can check your licence type here: Driving license models

The related EU directive is here: DIRECTIVE 2006/126/EC

This is transposed into national law which should be mostly the same. Croatia may not have fully adopted it but eventually will.

If you licence was issued before July 2013, you can look up the corresponding category here: equivalences between categories of driving licences

| improve this answer | |
  • EC directive 2006/126 only covers mutual recognition of driving licenses, license classes and some other details; The directive is, however, silent on when and whether you need a license in the first place. I know that Germany and the UK have exceptions that allow for the operation of a vehicle without a license; the same might be the case in Croatia. – erebus Aug 12 at 17:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.