I am an American citizen living temporarily in Canada. I rented a commercial space in Washington State from a Canadian landlord. 6 months after I vacated the space the landlord sued me in small claims court in Canada for damage he claims I caused to the tune of 6 thousand dollars. He did not notify me in accordance with WA state laws of his intent to keep my deposit or that there was any damage. (My contact information has not changed). Can he sue me in Canada for this having never attempted to contact me in accordance with the US laws?

  • He apparently can sue you, since he has done so. Whether he will prevail is perhaps the more interesting question. – phoog Jun 7 '18 at 6:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.