Here is the hypothetical situation that my following question will refer to:
- Person A purchases goods online.
- Person A modifies goods in a way that would likely void warranty but the item still works.
- At a later date, the goods develop a fault.
- Person A contacts the seller and describes this new fault and is not asked about but does not volunteer the fact that modifications were made.
- The seller accepts a return based on the fact that this fault has developed.
My questions are thus:
- Would person A be legally required to volunteer information on modifications made when attempting to return the goods if not explicitly asked?
- Would an offense have taken place if this information was not volunteered?