As an unmarried adult Egyptian woman living abroad with a valid Egyptian passport, can my father/brother/... stop me, by law, from leaving Egypt after a visit there?

I know I don't need to show a permission by a male guardian at the airport to leave Egypt (unlike, say, women from Saudi Arabia), so by default I am allowed to leave the country, but what if my father/brother/... gets active to prevent that?

  • Are you over 21 years old? – mkennedy Aug 9 '18 at 18:56
  • @mkennedy Yes I am older than 21 – J. Dough Aug 9 '18 at 19:05
  • What does Egyptian law say? – Giorgio Aug 9 '18 at 21:22
  • 7
    This seems like it would be a more appropriate question for Law. – Michael Hampton Aug 9 '18 at 21:48
  • 2
    Please stay safe! – gerrit Aug 10 '18 at 10:02

Given the nature of the question, I would add that in addition to any counsel from any lawyer, that these questions are given careful thought & consideration. You must make the decision as to whether or not to visit and must live with the risk & (potentially severe) consequences. Is it wise to rely on the law to protect you from hostiles?

IMHO based on the question, I suspect you are concerned that you will be held against your will in Egypt. If this is true, then there are other higher priority questions that should be posed:

  • Is there law / practice / precedent that could cause detainment?
  • Does the male relative have the positional authority to detain (policeman etc.)?
  • Is the benefit of a visit worth the risk?
  • What alternatives are available to visit: can you meet family in another country?
  • What risk mitigation can be engaged to prevent detainment?

I am sure that there are other good questions that I have not listed. I hope this helps to make a good decision and avoid a bad outcome.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    I'm so very tempted to upvote this answer, because it speaks to common reason. Alas, it is not founded in law, so I cannot :( – Dan Rayson Nov 25 '18 at 14:17
  • Perhaps encourage asking the question on IPS? Oh dear, from the comments, it appears the question was migrated here! – Josiah Yoder Aug 1 '19 at 17:02
  • I must also comment that if LEGAL advice does apply in this case, you SHOULD seek a lawyer! "Law Stack Exchange is for educational purposes only and is not a substitute for individualized advice from a qualified legal practitioner. Communications on Law Stack Exchange are not privileged communications and do not create an attorney-client relationship." – Josiah Yoder Aug 1 '19 at 17:06
  • I would add that lawyers are not infallible and can only advise: the OP must make her decision. If the lawyer were to advise it is reasonable or safe, said questions become critical (because the lawyer could be wrong), If the lawyer were to advise not to go then said questions become less relevant. The rule of law is not always enforced like one would like or think. – gatorback Aug 1 '19 at 17:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.