As an unmarried adult Egyptian woman living abroad with a valid Egyptian passport, can my father/brother/... stop me, by law, from leaving Egypt after a visit there?

I know I don't need to show a permission by a male guardian at the airport to leave Egypt (unlike, say, women from Saudi Arabia), so by default I am allowed to leave the country, but what if my father/brother/... gets active to prevent that?

migrated from travel.stackexchange.com Aug 11 '18 at 1:22

This question came from our site for road warriors and seasoned travelers.

  • Are you over 21 years old? – mkennedy Aug 9 '18 at 18:56
  • @mkennedy Yes I am older than 21 – J. Dough Aug 9 '18 at 19:05
  • What does Egyptian law say? – Giorgio Aug 9 '18 at 21:22
  • 7
    This seems like it would be a more appropriate question for Law. – Michael Hampton Aug 9 '18 at 21:48
  • 2
    Please stay safe! – gerrit Aug 10 '18 at 10:02

IMHO based on the question, I suspect you are concerned that you will be held against your will in Egypt. If this is true, then there are other higher priority questions that should be posed:

  • Is there law / practice / precedent that could cause detainment?
  • Does the male relative have the positional authority to detain (policeman etc.)
  • Is the benefit of a visit worth the risk?
  • What alternatives are available to visit: can you meet family in another country?
  • What risk mitigation can be engaged to prevent detainment?

I am sure that there are other good questions that I have not listed. I hope this helps to make a good decision and avoid a bad outcome.

  • 1
    I'm so very tempted to upvote this answer, because it speaks to common reason. Alas, it is not founded in law, so I cannot :( – Dan Rayson Nov 25 '18 at 14:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.