I would like to ask what are the potential pitfalls of setting up and running a limited company from a different country. In particular, the company would be incorporated in the United Kingdom, and I would be the directory/sole shareholder/only employee running it from continental EU (Czechia, to be concrete).

I am a software developer and I am more comfortable reading legal documents in English than in my native language. The other reasons why I chose the UK are

  • I have good experience with an unnamed mail forwarding/scanning service that offers a 'registered office address'.
  • It consistently ranks among the top 10 in the 'Ease of doing business' index

I can see two potential problems:

  1. The Companies House needs to be informed about the location of the company records unless they are at the registered address. They may object to them being located outside the United Kingdom.
  2. The mail forwarding service and all its competitors cease their operations. I suppose it would be possible to wind up the company even without a registered office address. I can travel to the UK if necessary.
  • 2 seems very unlikely. The market is pretty big. But you might want to consider Ireland: everything is available in English, and apparently the tax situation is favorable, which is why there are so many companies established there by foreigners. Also Ireland isn't on the verge of leaving the EU; if you establish your company in the UK you might encounter some friction when EU law ceases to apply to it. – phoog Sep 18 '18 at 20:44

You're easiest fix will be to engage an accountant in the UK to serve as the registered office of the company. They may not even charge you for it, as they would do your books for you. Last time I looked, there were plenty of businesses offering such a service.


I can only speak for the UK where I do have significant own experience with exactly your situation. In short words:

Your worries about Companies House and the well-known providers of addresses will not be your problem, despite I can only urge you to properly understand the difference between the registered office and your trading address, but there are good business centers who can provide both for limited amounts of money (2-digit / month).

One problem you will run into is to setup a bank account for your company, which will be practically impossible in the situation you describe. At least when talking about let me call them "regular banks". A UK limited company with a director who cannot proof his UK address (make sure you understand the concept of "proof of address" in the UK) will not get a bank account neither from high street banks nor from the Fintech / challenger banks. Peroid. If anyone knows better, I offer a bounty of 1.000 GBP in cash for success.

You will be able to somehow get a UK IBAN in the name of the company on which you can received GBP as well as EUR or CZK from other providers such as companies which are "wise" to use on "transfers", for example. I managed. This may serve your needs or not.

Also anything may change or may not change if the UK will leave the EU or not.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.