I am in the process of drafting a will for my estate and would like to designate friends of mine as potential guardians for my children in the event of my death.

The concern I have is that my friends have a child whom has special needs and is likely to require expensive special needs. As my estate would benefit from a substantial payout from life insurance in the event of my death, I don't want that additional money to become a burden for the future guardians.

To clarify the situation, they have difficulty affording health insurance regularly and their son has significant heart issues. Their son is 2 years old and has had 2 open heart surgeries thus far. They are able to have certain bills forgiven via charity care and other avenues which consider their assets in making a determination.

If I indicate in my will that the estate is to be placed into either a trust or pot trust and designate the potential guardians as the trustees, would that create a sufficient divide between the guardians' assets and my children's for the purposes of determining financial status when a hospital or other entity attempts to determine applicability for charity care or other debt forgiveness?

1 Answer 1


A trust is commonly used to handle assets of minor children and is a good idea no matter what the circumstances. The trustees and the guardians do not have to be the same people and it can be a good idea if even if the guardians are the trustees that there are additional trustee(s) as a probity check.

Notwithstanding, your child’s assets are not the guardians assets and vice-versa even if there is no trust.

I STRONGLY suggest you consult a lawyer. Wills only cost a couple of hundred bucks and are the cheapest insurance you will ever buy. A lawyer can make sure that your will is legal and can include contingencies that you haven’t considered like: you have more children, the guardians pre-decease you, the terms of the trust deed, when the child(ren) get access to the trust, what if the nominated guardians decide they don’t want the job etc.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .