I am on a J1 Visa but will marry a US citizen in December, 6 Months before my J1 expires.

I do not want to apply for a Green Card afterwards, instead I want to go back home to study.

Will I legally be allowed to remain in the States for that?


When a foreigner marries a US citizen in the US, the foreigner's immigration status does not change. So you will be able to remain in the US in J-1 status just as if you hadn't married a US citizen.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.