I have become estranged from my business partners. One of them insists that I am owed shares in the company, but I don't wish to accept them, not least for reason that I believe the shares to be worthless.

Can they register a transfer of shares to my name against my will? The shareholding would be substantial: 31%.


My jurisdiction is the UK.

  • Would the shares be any burden?
    – Greendrake
    Dec 3, 2018 at 0:46
  • @Greendrake. Essentially I wish the company to be liquidated. This would liberate me from a (very unfair) 3 year non compete. Although taking the shares would not be incompatible with my position, since my belief is that they're worth zero, refusing to take them would be a strong indication of my conviction. You could call acceptance of shares a potential erosion of my stated position, in which case yes, the shares are a burden. Dec 3, 2018 at 1:55
  • I have not yet received a canonical answer to this question. Please could someone take a stand and give me an opinion. Dec 4, 2018 at 19:00
  • If I get this question right, it boils down to whether a person can become the owner of shares of a UK company without formally accepting them. That is, can a company just issue/transfer shares to anyone without their consent. If this angle stands, it would make sense to rephrase the question — it will probably receive more attention.
    – Greendrake
    Dec 4, 2018 at 19:25

1 Answer 1


You could probably refuse the shares, although the mechanism would depend on ther jurisdiction you are in.

You could accept them and then give them to a charity, if you so choose. Unless the shares are restricted in some way, as some shares are.

  • David thank you. My jurisdiction is the UK. Dec 2, 2018 at 23:38
  • I know I can transer the shares to anyone I wish, but the question really is about whether or not I can refuse ever taking the shares in the first place. Dec 4, 2018 at 19:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.