Without going into too much detail, my partner has made accusations against me to the police for which I am currently on bail while they investigate. I feel frustrated that his accusations are bogus but I do not have a voice. I've sought advice from a solicitor and been advised to stay schtum. But I feel that the whole thing could be nipped in the bud sooner if only my side of events were heard. Is there anything I can do?

closed as off-topic by Nate Eldredge, bdb484, sleske, Nij, A. K. Dec 16 '18 at 21:46

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 3
    Talk to an attorney. – Robert Columbia Dec 9 '18 at 20:25
  • 5
    If you don't trust your lawyer's advice, then the best thing is to seek a second opinion from another lawyer. It is not a good idea to seek advice from random people on the Internet who are not lawyers (or, at least, are not your lawyers). For one thing, a consultation for a second opinion would be privileged, which your post here is not - what you write here could be used against you in court. – Nate Eldredge Dec 9 '18 at 21:43
  • 1
    You can also have a more detailed conversation with your current lawyer - ask them to explain why they think it is best for you to remain silent. Tell them what you would like to do instead, and ask them what they see as the risks and benefits of that. – Nate Eldredge Dec 9 '18 at 21:45
  • 2
    @RobertColumbia From the united-kingdom tag, and the use of the word "solictor" in the question, looking for an "attorney" might be unhelpful. – owjburnham Dec 10 '18 at 9:51
  • 2
    @phoog police in the UK have different duties towards a suspect than US police. For example, cooperation or not with the police is a factor in sentencing if eventually convicted. – Dale M Dec 10 '18 at 19:09

I've sought advice from a solicitor and been advised to stay schtum.

Enough said.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.