I am a citizen of Turkey, not of the EU. I worked in Ireland with a Critical Skills Employment Permit.

I sued my employer for Workplace Discrimination. I decided that the case was not dealt with properly. After I exhaust all the internal procedures, I am planning to apply to European Court of Human Rights - ECHR. But I read that "People can go to ECHR only against the countries of their own".

Is this correct? Do I have the right to go to the ECHR?


1 Answer 1


According to this pamphlet (see page 5), no, you do not need to be a citizen of the EU country.

What are the conditions relating to me personally?

You do not need to be a national of one of the States bound by the Convention. The violation you are complaining of must simply have been committed by one of those States against a person within its “jurisdiction”, which usually means on its territory

  • 1
    Which also means that the OP needs to have a case against the state, not the employer (unless they are the same thing). Perhaps they were thinking about the European Court of Justice?
    – user4210
    Dec 28, 2018 at 7:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.