Gist of the situation: I've had hard time finishing university and my previous job was tied to that (i.e., I have to be enrolled in minimum 6 credit hours in order to work at my university); my father who has very poor temper and ex-Soviet drill sergeant personality, has been issuing various insults at me, including threats of physical harm and specifically to call police to evict me.

Now, through the past 10 years I lived with my parents on the voluntary basis - no lease signed, although my father arbitrarily demanded paying $100 a month at one point, now arbitrarily demands $500 for the past 3 months. Formally, he is not the house owner - due to divorce (though still living together) and arguing with my mother over the years, they split bank accounts, and my mother is now sole person signed on the mortgage for the house.

So the core of the question: can my father actually "call police to kick [me] out", despite not being a formal household owner ? What are my options to defend myself (aside from moving out, which is currently not feasible due to financial status)?

Note: question is specific to the state of Colorado

  • Three questions: 1) do you know who is on the deed (mother, father, or both), and 2) have you received mail address to you at this address and 3) when you say "10 years...on a voluntary basis" does that mean you were not a minor during that time? – sharur Feb 7 at 15:49
  • @sharur 1) Don't know, but I can find out. At the time of purchase which was about 15 years ago, it was both names. 2) Yes. 3) I came to live in this house at the age of 16, and prior to that lived abroad for 10 with grandmother – Sergiy Kolodyazhnyy Feb 7 at 17:07
  • @sharur Update: title and mortgage currently on mom's name, fully owned by her – Sergiy Kolodyazhnyy Feb 7 at 18:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.