4 months ago I quit my job to found a small startup (A) aimed at solving a niche problem only a few companies (including my old one) experience.
I reached out to one potential customer (B) to invite them to try our demo, and they responded saying that they were interested in hiring me.
I can see many ways becoming an employee for B could be mutually beneficial:
- I can improve A through first-hand experience & insights gained
- B gets free access to A's product, and A gains free testing
- Social proof: A can advertise B as a customer
- $$$ (duh) - able to keep A running longer. And possibly open-source it (will damage potential sales but increase potential impact)
The one thing I'm concerned of - will it cause legal trouble? If I've already founded the company 4 months prior, could they say that I took the idea from working with them? Are there any risks I need to be aware of?
- A is a software product, subscription based. We have no customers as yet, only demo users. I have about a month of runway left. We have applied to a startup accelerator and find out in 10 days if we have got in.
- B is a successful financial service provider.
Thanks - Anon