My friend lives in the Netherlands and was doing 62 km/h in a 30 km/h zone. He did this on a scooter that he illegally removed the 25 km/h cap on. From these two facts the fine will likely be around 400 euros, which he cannot afford.

Is there any way for him to pay it off with community service or in monthly payments?

Are there any ways he can pay for his mistake without crippling him financially and putting him in debt?

  • 6
    Sell the scooter?
    – user4210
    Commented Apr 21, 2019 at 11:48
  • 2
    Lucky the fines in the Netherlands are so low - in Australia this would set you back almost $2,000 and your licence
    – Dale M
    Commented Apr 21, 2019 at 12:07
  • 3
    Slightly strange phrasing - he will be in debt the moment the fine is pronounced. Debts to the government typically take precedence over such trivialities as eating, but the court may allow staged payment; either consult a lawyer or explain your financial situation and throw yourself on the mercy of the court. Commented Apr 21, 2019 at 20:55
  • 2
    400 Euros only is cheap, considering a massive violation of the speed limit, driving a vehicle that is not road safe, driving without license (unless he has a motorbike license), and driving without insurance.
    – gnasher729
    Commented Apr 22, 2019 at 14:27
  • 3
    @TimLymington your second sentence seems rather hyperbolic. I don't know any country in which the government would actually enforce fines to the extent that someone would starve as a result. (I don't deny that such countries might exist, but the Netherlands is surely not one of them.)
    – phoog
    Commented Apr 22, 2019 at 14:36

1 Answer 1


I looked for a link to the CJIB pages on paying fines in monthly bits. It is here: https://www.cjib.nl/betalen-delen-aanvragen-voor-een-verkeersboete. He will have to make a request for such an arrangement at the CJIB himself. It will depend on what type of communication he has received from the authorities, and how quickly he responds to it.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .