Does a foreigner (in this case a student from Ukraine) need an official invitation to visit the United States temporarily as a tourist (more specifically not as an immigrant)?

Is there any way an official invitation would help, or alternate method for obtaining a visa that requires an official invitation?

I'm just getting conflicting answers to this question.

  • Why did you tag this with "f1-visa"? And what are the conflicting answers you have gotten? Have you checked the U.S. State Department's website for tourist information?
    – feetwet
    Sep 28, 2015 at 19:11

1 Answer 1


The US Embassy has a page on Ukrainian visitors to the US:

Who needs a visa?

Ukrainian citizens require a visa to enter the United States. Citizens of countries participating in the Visa Waiver Program do not need a visa if their passport meets certain requirements.

So no, you don't need an invitation. You need a visa.

  • 1
    In some cases, one needs an invitation in order to get a visa. I think that is what the question is asking about. Sep 29, 2015 at 14:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.