Where I live the following setup is becoming increasingly popular: Someone signs a lease with the homeowner. There are several bedrooms available in the home. The leaseholder has roommates live with him, collects their rent, and pays the whole to the owner.

What kind of contract should the roommates have with the leaseholder? To my understanding this is out of the jurisdiction of the Residential Tenancy Act because they are considered occupants who live with the landlord. However, if someone signs the standard RTB-1 form, that still is a contract that they can use to enforce in small claims court.

What's the best way a roommate can protect himself? Is the RTB-1 good, or is some sort of sublease, sublet or roommate agreement better?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.