From what I understand, in English small claims courts the maximum claim is £10,000. Above this amount, the case needs to go through a different track.

If you are technically owed a greater sum than the limit, but are willing to reduce the claim in order to go through a less complex proceedure; are you able to claim the lower amount?

For example:

  • Owed £10,250 for work completed, with well documented evidence that shows this amount
  • Wish to go through small claims court, despite the limit of £10,000
  • Is there any issue with raising a claim in small claims for only £10,000 - even though the evidence shows you would have been entitled to more via a different track?

1 Answer 1


No, I am not from the U.K., but if the limit there is 10 thousand pounds, you can file a suit for up to that amount.

  • 2
    This doesn't make any attempt to answer the actual question. The OP already knows there a limit, but wants to know if they can voluntarily reduce their claim to match the limit and forfeit the balance. Also, $ and £ are different.
    – brhans
    May 13, 2019 at 15:15
  • Uh, I told him he can file a suit to that amount.
    – Putvi
    May 13, 2019 at 15:16
  • Please quit downvoting for no reason. Thank you.
    – Putvi
    May 13, 2019 at 15:18
  • 1
    I appreciate you taking the time to answer. But in this case I am particularly wary of the specifics in my area (England&Wales); as the law varies greatly even within the UK as a whole. So an answer that may be generally true in most of the world - isn't guaranteed to be true for this specific region of the UK.
    – Bilkokuya
    May 13, 2019 at 15:20
  • I get you. I just meant that small claims court is a fairly routine thing by now. No reasonable person is going to be that hard nosed that they make you file for the full amount and if they did you could just lie.
    – Putvi
    May 13, 2019 at 15:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.