I have a UK partner Visa that is expiring on June 13, 2019. I am a U.S. citizen currently living in NYC. My partner is British and we have a 2.5 year old son.

What is the best (easiest and most cost effective) way to renew my Partner Visa? I have not worked in the UK since February 2017. A job might be opening up there and I've indicated that I do not require sponsorship.

1 Answer 1


When you can apply to extend or switch You can extend or switch at any time before your current permission to stay in the UK expires.

You must live in the UK for a certain amount of time before you’re eligible for settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’) - check how much time you need before you extend your visa.

If you’re extending to stay with the same family member, you’ll only get up to 28 days left on your current stay added to your new visa. https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

You can fill out the paperwork, but it looks like they do not usually extend the period very far if you are outside the UK.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .