When you register a trade name or trademark, you have to pay a fee for each of various classes that describe your business.

Can anyone tell me what class publishing falls under? I publish in three formats:

  1. Internet (websites)
  2. Epubs (electronic books read on Kindle, for example)
  3. Paper or plastic wall charts

I'm guessing these would all be covered by Class 41: Education and Entertainment. Am I correct?

Trademark Classes


You don't "describe" your business -- you identify the goods or services to which you intend to apply the brand.

The USPTO has a useful tool for "The Acceptable Identification of Goods or Services" on its website. You type in a descriptive word and it gives you a list of classes and proposed form of the identification that would be acceptable.

The publishing media you list would easily fall within three or more separate registration classes: website (035, 039, 042); epubs (009, 041, 042); paper (016, 035, 041), etc., depending upon the field and nature of the publication.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.