I work for a Marin County based company as a foreign self-employed freelance contractor (software developer), and my client wants to open an office in Los Angeles and invited me to work there.

How to start the case without a physical address in Los Angeles? Should my boss rent an office first despite that he doesn't have anybody to sit in until I get the green card?

  • This belongs on Expatriates. Why does the county matter? It seems to me that a company could sponsor someone at their current address and then subsequently open an office elsewhere. Why would that pose a problem for the sponsored employee? Once admitted to the country on an immigrant visa, he is a permanent resident and enjoys freedom of movement.
    – phoog
    May 30 '19 at 17:44
  • The county does matter, actually, it's very important. The wage depends on the location for example. Getting and holding green card doesn't provide God mode either, especially If I'll decide I want to go for the citizenship a couple of years later.
    – Devguy
    May 31 '19 at 1:12

Pick out a location then do the paperwork.

  • So we don't need a physical office/address? I know that I can't be home or remote worker because my profession (software developer) considered to be an office job, I might get auditing (+6-12 months processing) if the address is not an office's address.
    – Devguy
    May 29 '19 at 20:35
  • I'm saying pick the physical address then do the paperwork for your EB-3.
    – Putvi
    May 29 '19 at 20:37
  • I mean you could buy a building then get the paperwork done while the building is being made ready.
    – Putvi
    May 29 '19 at 20:39
  • I see, my boss is a bit frustrated by paying $500-1000/month for a totally empty office for months, that's why I'm looking for something smarter solution, but it seems we don't have too many other things to do with this situation :)
    – Devguy
    May 29 '19 at 20:40
  • You should be able to get it done faster than a few months. Call your local office.
    – Putvi
    May 29 '19 at 20:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.