If I were to order custom t-shirts from a t-shirt printing company with some copyrighted brand on them, (when) would it be legally OK for me to do so without the copyright owner's permission?
- Is it legal if I do not distribute them to others at all?
- Is it legal if I give them to my family/relatives for free, e.g. as a gift?
- Is it legal if I give them away to others for free (meaning I'm losing my own money on them)?
- Is it legal if I sell them to others at-cost (i.e. for the same price I obtained them, meaning I'm not making any money from them)?
- If the answer is "yes" to any of the above, can the copyright holder explicitly prohibit me from doing so, or would such a prohibition be unenforceable (e.g. if this would be fair use)?
- Any other factors that are relevant but which I'm forgetting?
It's hard for me to tell, because copyright seems to be about "commercial" use, but none of these seems to be commercial use to me, yet I don't know if I'm interpreting the law correctly.