I work for a cafe in Southern California. Recently a guest purchased five mimosa cocktails over an hour time period, three of which were ordered within 20 minutes. The guest was by themselves the entire time so I have no reason to believe they were sharing the drinks with a friend.

When I approached my management on cutting off the guest they simply returned with a "They're fine". However, according to our alcohol training, we know this to be incorrect. Furthermore, several of the drinks were poured by a minor.

How and to whom should I go about reporting this?

1 Answer 1


The criteria for refusing service in California is the patron being “obviously drunk”. 5 150ml mimosas is not a lot, even in an hour - it has approximately the same alcohol content as 2 425ml beers. I certainly wouldn’t be “obviously drunk” after that.

Only 18 year olds and over can serve or act as bartenders for on-premises consumption. Whether someone under 18 can pour drinks for someone else to serve is not clear. However, it’s probably ok as the legislative intention appears to be to put a responsible adult at the point of service.

The government authority responsible is Alcoholic Beverage Control.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .