Some context: I've been in the US for almost 5 years under a F1 visa. In the last year I've worked under OPT for a company in the US. I have a SSN but my card says "valid for work only with DHS authorization". I'm a software developer.

I'm planning on permanently moving back to my home country (Ecuador), and keep working with my current employer in the US. They want to hire me as a subcontractor, but I'd prefer to stay under they payroll if possible.

I've heard of people working remotely for a US company without needing a work visa, work permit, but only using an ITIN. They pay taxes in the US although they are not citizens, or residents in the US.

Could I use my SSN, or apply for an ITIN to do something similar?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.