During my undergraduate years in India (as an Indian national), I used to work part time (~15-17 hours a week) for a certain company which is based in the US. The kind of work I used to do is basically some kind of content writing. The company used to pay me by wiring money to my Indian Bank account.

Now, I am moving to the US with an F1 visa for my graduate studies. I would like to continue this part time work during my stay in the US. So, I am considering two options:

  • I continue working from the US, but when they pay me, the payment goes to my Indian bank account as usual.
  • I request to receive my pay in my US bank account. This is a more convenient option for me. But I do not know if this is allowed under the terms of an F1 visa.

As far as I can see, the F1 visa rules only mention

F-1 students may not work off-campus during the first academic year, but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions and restrictions.

What are the practical considerations that I need to be aware of?

  • 1
    You cannot work for that company or any other company while you are in the US, regardless of where the money is transferred or where the other company is located. That's right, you cannot even work remotely for a company in India or some other country. The only work you can do is the on-campus work permitted under F-1 status. There are many related posts at Travel and Expatriates. – phoog Aug 6 at 15:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.