If US citizen's child's parents, are at work abroad. US citizen child is staying with grand-parent in US. Grandparents are on temporary 6 months visit visa.

1) Can grand-parent apply for passport of US citizen grandchild ?

2) Does grand-parent need to be appointed as legal guardian ?

3) Can US child leave the country with a grand-parent to go to his/her parent ?

Note: Grandparent / nor Parents are US citizens nor do they reside in US (non-residents)


1 Answer 1

  1. Yes. See the State Department's page on passports for children under 16. If both parents are unable to appear

A third party may apply for the child's passport with a notarized statement from both parents/guardians giving that third party permission to apply for the child.

The statement must include a photocopy of the parents/guardians' identification.

  1. No. See above for details.

  2. Yes. A notarized letter of consent from both parents may be necessary depending on where the parents are.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .