I run a website, by which we develope website extensions. Last year, I thought I'd release a commercial extension simply to contribute towards the hosting and domain expenses.

Before doing so, I registered as a Sole Trader.

According to the GOV.UK website, You must register for VAT if your business turnover is over £82,000.

Now seeing as my site only turns over a couple of hundred pounds every few months, am I still required to notify HMRC of my revenue and pay VAT on it?

I only ask as I received a letter from HMRC saying I was required to pay £75.

  • Is it clear that the fee requested by HMRC is a VAT, or could it be some other tax or fee? E.g., maybe just a registration fee? – feetwet Oct 12 '15 at 19:45
  • @feetwet - I'm sure that it was VAT. I assume the best thing to do would be to contact HMRC – Lodder Oct 12 '15 at 19:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.