I live in Maryland(MD) and my parents just bought a car for me in Michigan(MI). However first I don't have a title claim on the car let alone an insurance. Is it possible for me to get a temporary plate from MD, go to MI, staple that in and drive the car back?

So to get that plate from MD I have to apply for car title, which would take ~2 weeks. Can my parents just send me their title signed through mail and I can sign it in MD or is the car title only valid in MI and I have to get a temporary MI plate to drive that car back to MD? And how does this work for gifts? Do my parents declare $0 cost on the car in the title?

Thank you

  • They must have a MI title - do they also have a MI plate? – George White Oct 21 '19 at 23:53
  • @GeorgeWhite They have the title. No they don't have a plate – anon Oct 21 '19 at 23:58
  • Would it make sense for them to get plates in MI, you drive it to MD and then they gift it to you. You can legitimately drive it while the title and plates are in the works. – George White Oct 22 '19 at 5:15

Ok so after some searching I found out this link: http://www.mva.maryland.gov/vehicles/registration/title-registration-info.htm

In here there is a last section as follows:

All other transfers as gifts are subject to the state inspection laws. Gifts of vehicles that are titled out-of-state are not accepted.

So it seems I have to have the title under my name before I get it registered in MD.

|improve this answer|||||
  • I'm not sure about gifting in MI, but it took no time at all when I did it MD (the MD form had a required transaction fee, so the person giving it to me settled a $10 debt they owed me for another matter. Legally I bought a car for $10 bucks in MD, but we didn't enforce small debts like that between us, so it was just a number we wrote). – hszmv Oct 22 '19 at 14:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.