I am a an Italian university employee in Munich. I have rented a flat until the end of November and I did the "Anmeldung" in the offices of the burgeburo.

Now I need to leave Germany for 4 months due to a job travel.

Clearly I will not have an apartment in Germany for those months.

Should I do the "Abmeldung"? Am I still officially a resident in Germany?

  • 1
    "Clearly I will not have an apartment in Germany for those months." That's not at all obvious to me. Depending on the details of your travel, I would expect an employer to pay for accommodation abroad for the duration of your secondment, and you to contain paying rent on the German apartment. Nov 15, 2019 at 12:44
  • Ok, I think I could do like that. But suppose that I don't. Is it against any law? I mean, as a resident in Germany I always have to own or be renting a place in Germany?
    – Bremen000
    Nov 15, 2019 at 12:47
  • As a European probably you are entitled to live in Germany or being resident there and go somewhere else, as long as you can provide for yourself.
    – abdul
    Nov 16, 2019 at 20:18

1 Answer 1


If I read your question correctly, then your plan is to end the lease and move out of your appartment.

In this situation, you would obviously have to de-register. What makes you think that you can continue to be registered as living in an apartment after ending your lease, moving out and returning the key?

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .